Ben Roethlisberger raised more than eyebrow with the Pittsburgh Steelers' decision to select fellow quarterback Mason Rudolph in the third round of the 2018 NFL Draft.
Roethlisberger expressed his displeasure with the pick because he viewed that it could have been better served with a player who could immediately help the team.
"So, I was surprised when they took a quarterback," Roethlisberger said Friday on KDKA's Cook and Poni in Pittsburgh, "because I thought that maybe in the third round, you can get some really good football players that can help this team now. And nothing against Mason, I think he's a great football player ... I just don't know how backing up or being the third guy, who knows where he's going to fall on the depth chart, but helps us win now."
The depth chart behind the 36-year-old Roethlisberer consists of Landry Jones as the backup, 2017 fourth-round pick Joshua Dobbs and Rudolph.
"Those two guys are who I feel the worst for," Roethlisberger said of Jones and Dobbs. "I'll be honest, I wasn't worried about (Rudolph) coming and taking my job. I feel confident that I can go out and beat whoever I need to beat out for my job. ... I do feel bad for those guys.
"I don't know what's going to happen. I assume Landry's still the (No. 2), I don't really know. And Josh, same thing. Last year you take him in the fourth round, so does that mean the Steelers screwed up in that pick? Like do they think that he wasn't the one that they thought, or has he not developed the way they thought? Why else would you take a quarterback in the third round the next year?"
Roethlisberger, who has two years left on his current contract, said he plans to play three to five more years.