The Buffalo Bills placed guard Richie Incognito on the reserve/retired list, the team announced Thursday.
The move comes two days after the four-time Pro Bowl selection told reporters he planned to retire after a 12-year career.
"I'm done. That's it. It's been a long career," the 34-year-old Incognito told the Buffalo News on Tuesday. "It's been a long career. My liver and kidneys are shutting down. Nothing I can't restore with some balance, but the stress is killing me.
"I went to a doctor's appointment the other day and they said, 'Listen, the stress is killing you, what are you doing?' And I said, 'Listen, I'm just doing what I love and that's playing football.' So that's why I'm done."
Earlier on Tuesday, Incognito tweeted at the NFL Players Association: "I'm done."
Incognito agreed to terms with the Bills last month, but saw his base salary reduced last month from $6.325 million to 3.65 million. The decision cleared $1.675 million in cap room for the Bills.
Last Thursday, Incognito fired his agency, Athletes First, on Twitter.
"@AthletesFirst You are Fired! I wish you guys nothing but the best moving forward. Thank you for all of your help and guidance along the way. It's time for me to go in a new direction," Incognito posted on Twitter.
While Incognito admitted to the Buffalo News that he's still not thrilled with the contract situation, he said he has moved on.
"The contract and all that (angered me) and all that, but (the decision to retire) has nothing to do with that," he said. "You know what it is. It's just about doing what's right. And that's it.